Gestora de Runes de la Construcció (GRC) is a firm set up in 1994 to manage the controlled disposal of construction waste and foster its re-use and separation at source through an extensive network of controlled storage sites, recycling plants and transfer facilities throughout Catalonia.
A pioneer in Spain and Europe, GRC is a mixed public-private company which has made construction work compatible with preservation of the environment.
The company’s work is based on five principles:
- Building waste management that fosters minimisation through recycling and re-use at source.
- Prioritising cooperation with the authorities in developing regulations and quality policies.
- Encouraging cooperation with companies and industry associations.
- Corporate responsibility and a commitment to quality through an integrated quality, environment and occupational safety management system.
- Encouraging and raising awareness of proper waste management, education about legislation and support for compliance.
Shareholdings in Gestora de Runes de la Construcció consist of a 45% public holding, through the ARC, the Catalan Waste Agency, and TERSA, and a 55% private holding, through the Catalan Construction Federation and 82 companies in the construction industry.